The hair transplant procedure consists of the transfer of follicles, especially from the neck area – considered the donation area – to the areas affected by alopecia. Unfortunately, the loss of hair adornment comes with age and is inevitable for most men who reach adulthood. The first effects of alopecia are visible in the area of the cap, but also in the forehead where the hair ornament line recedes.
The hair transplant procedure has become popular for most men. For example, in 2013, 71% of patients who underwent this procedure were men.
Returning to the routine of care can influence the outcome of the procedure and can determine the speed with which the results will be observed. Neglecting this routine can slow down the results. Below, together with our specialists, we have reviewed some essential tips for proper post-intervention care to accelerate the growth process.
- The scalp should be dry for the first 4 days to encourage healing. Therefore, avoid standing in a humid environment or sweating. The recommendation of the Look Clinic doctors is that the patient sprays the areas with the physiological serum received from the clinic, every 30 minutes.
- Do not cover the scalp with synthetic accessories – caps, hats, scarves as long as there are scars or redness. It could cause irritation and inflammation.
- Apply the treatment creams prescribed by the dermatologist after strict intervention. Scars and redness should not be neglected.
- The sleeping position on the first night at home should be raised. Put on two pillows so as not to inhibit the tissue that has just been operated on. Moreover, the elevated sleeping position prevents the secretion of sebum and thus, on a dry area, healing is faster. Avoid rubbing the scalp on pillows and prolonged pressure in the first 3 days after surgery.
- Be generous with your sleep. Recovery is faster if you rest, so the recommendation is to take a few days off after the intervention, for better results.
- Return to the clinic every 10 days to check if the “shells”.
- Seek the advice of the doctor who performed the procedure regarding the shampoo you will use. It is important that the follicles are not attacked by too much soda.
- Washing the scalp. The area where the harvest was made can be washed the next day, and the implanted area 4 days after the intervention. Washing is recommended by hand. Take water in the palm of your hand and put it on your scalp. Do not place the shower jet directly on the skin where it has just intervened.
- Use ice packs for inflamed areas of the head.
- Do not expose yourself to the sun for the first 3-4 days until the irritation and swelling recede. If you go outside during the day, cover your head with a natural fiber accessory.
- Do not scratch in areas with grafts, although the temptation is high, given that in the healing process, itching is common. Rubbing or scratching could inhibit newly implanted follicles.
- Do not drink alcohol for the first 5 days after surgery.
- Do not smoke for one month after surgery. In the process of growing new hair, blood quality is extremely important.
- Do not go to the gym in the first week after the operation. Contact and team sports are not recommended for a month.
Until complete healing and obtaining the result at the promised volume, post-intervention care is important. In most cases, it defines the duration of recovery, withdrawal of swelling and the increase of the newly implanted capital ornament.